White Whale is a nine-person company founded in 2000, based in the Bay Area and Portland but with team members around the country. We work exclusively with colleges and universities; our work includes web design, branding, strategy, and technology services.
We market and host two products that we’ve developed in house: LiveWhale CMS and a calendaring system, LiveWhale Calendar. Both are directed toward the higher ed market; the calendar in particular has been increasingly successful in the marketplace. Most of the positions below are intended to strengthen the customer service and relationship management environment for these products.
We like to hire people, not skillsets— if you’re the right person for us, we’ll find the perfect fit for you in our company. But there are a few areas where we’re in particular need of help. If one or more of the following job descriptions seems like a match for what you have to offer, let’s talk.
What We’re Looking For
Our goal is to find a great collaborator with a skillset that matches one or more of these roles.
Junior Web Developer
We’re looking for someone to add to our small but mighty team of developers, and work on the LiveWhale CMS and calendaring platforms as well as occasional web projects for our higher education clients.
- Learn the basic architecture of our products, LiveWhale and LiveWhale Calendar
- Help with testing of products and websites (mobile, browser, accessibility testing)
- Suggest and possibly implement incremental improvements to product UI/UX
- Expert level HTML/CSS, ideally including LESS or SASS frameworks
- Solid understanding of web accessibility and accessibility testing resources
- Familiarity with PHP
- AWS administration
- You tell us!
LiveWhale Account Manager
Our account manager maintains relationships with our community of developers and communications professionals at colleges and universities around the world.
- Learn the basics of LiveWhale and LiveWhale Calendar as needed to correspond with our customer base
- First responder to support emails: review customer email, determine type of support needed, route the request to the right team member, and respond to customer appropriately
- Set up regular calls with all LiveWhale and LiveWhale Calendar customers to see how things are going, determine if any help is needed, schedule regular upgrades, and suggest additional services if warranted
- Great interpersonal skills
- General familiarity with the basics of web development
- Proficiency in database management and/or CRM tools
We’re looking to strengthen our technology team by adding a flex/full-time position devoted to maintaining, optimizing, and growing our fleet of AWS servers.
We’re looking for an early-career systems administrator who can become our expert on Amazon Web Services (AWS) hosting, Linux administration, Apache, and MySQL (RDS).
An interest in working with infrastructure as code (e.g., Terraform) and the subtleties of Apache configuration would be a plus.